Canon Printers deals with quality products and high-class printing features. It comes in a series of models and sizes to be suitable for all needs. You can use Canon Printers at home, office, or business. To use these printers, you need to first perform Canon Printer Setup. However, if you have no idea how to perform the setup, then you have come to the right place. In this blog, we have covered the process of connecting Canon printers with both wired and wireless settings. So, let us dive into the details.
What Do You Need to Know About Setting Up a Canon Printer?
- Download and Install the Drivers and Software.
- Perform a Wired Connection or Wireless Connection.
- Print the Test Page.
How To Download And Install the Canon Printer Driver And Software?
Firstly, arrange a device that is compatible with Canon Printer. If the device meets the system requirements for the printer, then only the drivers will work efficiently for the connection and printing jobs. Here are the steps to follow for downloading and installing the printer drivers.
- Firstly, arrange a Canon printer-compatible device.
- Connect it to the internet.
- Open the web browser and visit the web page https://in.canon/en/support/download.
- Choose the operating system from the drop-down list.
- Choose the type of software to download, i.e., driver, firmware, or software package.
- Select the language as English.
- Now, in the next blank field, enter the model number of the Canon printer you are using.
- Hit the search button.
- A new window will appear. Hit the download button.
- Wait for the download to complete and open the file to run it.
- To install the drivers in your system, Agree to the terms and conditions.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Lastly, check for any error message on the screen.
So, it completes the installation of drivers for your printer. The device is now ready to connect with the printer and handle printing, copying, and scanning files.
Ways to Perform Canon Printer Setup
The Canon Printer Setup can be completed by connecting the device either using a wired connection or a wireless connection. You can choose any of the following ways to set up the printer.
- Using a USB cable.
- Using the WiFi.
- Through WPS.
Wired Connection For Canon Printers
The first method to connect the Canon Printer is by connecting the printer using a wired connection. Make sure to arrange a fresh USB cable that is not damaged from any point. So, here are the steps to follow:
- Firstly, switch ON the computer and connect it to the Internet.
- Then, take a USB cable and connect its one end to the printer.
- Insert the other end of the USB into the computer or router.
- Check that the connections are secure and tight.
- Finally, follow the instructions displayed on the device and confirm the connection.
Wired connections for Canon Printer Setup are more prone to hardware faults and faulty connections. So, it will interrupt the printing and scanning tasks. So, the more reliable connection method is the wireless connection using Wi-Fi.
How to Connect a Canon Printer Through Wi-Fi?
To connect the printer wirelessly, you need to first arrange high-speed Wi-Fi. After that, connect the printer to the internet and follow up with print, scan, and copy tasks. Here are the steps to connect the printer to Wi-Fi.
- Firstly, click on the ‘Setup’ button on the printer.
- Use the arrow keys of the printer and press the ‘Wireless LAN Setup’ option.
- After that, press the OK button.
- Again, use the arrow keys to select ‘wireless LAN other setups.’
- Click OK.
- Now, select ‘Cableless setup.’ Click OK.
- Now, while installing the driver and software, click on ‘Wireless LAN Setup.’
- Choose the ‘Connect via Wireless Router’ option.
- Hit the Next button.
- After that, choose the ‘cableless setup’ option.
- Click on the Yes option, then click the Next button.
- Finally, hit the ‘complete’ button at last.
How to Connect the Canon Printer Wirelessly?
If you are facing any issue with the above wireless connection method, then there is another quick method using WPS (WIFI Protected Setup) on the printer and router. It will directly link the printer to the internet for printing. So, follow the steps below to complete Canon Printer Setup:
- Firstly, use the arrow keys of the printer to click on the ‘Settings’ option.
- Press the OK button
- Then, click on the ‘Device Settings’ option and click on the OK button.
- Click on LAN settings, then the OK button.
- After that, choose “change wireless/wired.” Press the OK button.
- Now, press the “Wireless LAN Active” button.
- Select ‘Wireless LAN Settings and then click OK.
- Select WPS settings and click on ‘Push Button Method”.
- Finally, click the OK button.
Now, press the WPS button on the printer and hold it for a few minutes. Also, press the router’s WPS button and hold it for a few minutes. The printer screen will detect the router connection and display it on the screen. Enter the password and connect the printer to WIFI.
How to Connect a Canon Printer to Windows?
To connect the device to the computer having Windows operating system, first, go online at https://www.usa.canon.com/support/software-and-drivers to download and install the printer drivers. After that, follow the steps below:
- Firstly, connect the Windows computer to a WIFI connection.
- Connect the printer to the same WIFI connection.
- Go to the control panel of the device.
- Choose the ‘Printer and Driver’ option.
- After that, click on Add Printer.
- Choose the name of the printer you are using.
- After that, click on the ‘Add’ button and then hit the OK button.
- Finally, close all the windows and check for success.
How to Do Canon Printer Setup on a MacOS?
Canon printers are also compatible with Mac operating systems with Mac OS X 10.6 or above. You can download and install the drivers online at https://www.usa.canon.com/support/software-and-drivers. Then, connect the devices as follows:
- Firstly, connect the computer and the printer to an internet connection.
- Then, go to Apple Menu, then go to ‘Settings.’
- Check the ‘Printer and Scanner’ option in the sidebar and click on it.
- Click on the “+” sign and choose the name of your printer.
- Hit the OK button to add the printer.
- Now, check for the successful connection and print the test page to confirm it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Connect a Canon Printer to WIFI?
For the Canon Printer Setup over WIFI, you need to first arrange an active internet connection. Use the WIFI Protected Setup method for a quick and reliable connection over a network. To connect the printer to the network, press and hold the push button on the printer and then repeat it on the router. Click the OK button to the prompt on the printer screen and follow the instructions for Canon Printer Setup with WIFI.
How Do I Install My Canon Printer on My Computer?
Canon Printers are compatible with computers with Windows OS, Mac OS, Linux, and others. For the printer’s connection with the computer, follow the steps below:
- Connect both devices to the same internet.
- Open the control panel of the computer.
- Choose ‘Devices and Printer”.
- Add the Canon printer and hit the OK button at last.
- Finally, print the test page to confirm the connection.
How do I Manually Connect to a Canon Wireless Printer?
For the Canon Printer Setup wirelessly over a network, follow the steps below:
- Press the Setup button and then press the WIFI option.
- Use the arrow keys and go to the Manual Connect option.
- After that, go to the ‘Network’ option and press the OK button.
- Type the password for your network and again press the OK button.
What to Do if My Canon Printer is Not Responding?
Your Canon printer may not be responding due to multiple reasons. However, you can resolve them quickly by
- Rebooting your router.
- Restart your printer.
- Reboot your computer.
- Reinstall the printer driver.