For higher quality prints at low cost and reliable performance, one can choose Dell printers. These printers are multitasking and can handle the jobs even remotely using a wireless connection. Moreover, these printers are well suitable for official as well as personal use. Here, we will discuss complete guidelines for Dell Printer Setup for the wired connection and wireless connection. The entire setup process comprises downloading and installing the drivers, connecting the printer with WIFI, and connection with the compatible device for remote printing solutions. Before following up with the setup process, make sure to assemble the printer appropriately and arrange an active working network connection.
What Are the Compatible Devices for Dell Printer Setup?
To use the printer efficiently without any failures and errors, you need to first arrange a device that is compatible with it. So, here are the system requirements for Dell printer:
|Windows Operating System||Windows 11, Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows Server|
|Linux Operating System||Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Ubuntu, SUSE Linux,|
|Mac Operating System||Mac OS X v10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 11, 12, 13|
Different models of the Dell Printer have different system requirements for the device connected to it. You can check the device compatibility of your device with the printer model online at https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-bb?app=manuals.
Download and Install Drivers and Software for Dell Printers
One of the most important steps for the Dell Printer Setup is downloading and installing the drivers. You need to first check for the drivers that are compatible with the printer model you are using. After that, download and install it on your device for a successful connection process. Also, remember to download the drivers only from the authorised site.
So, here are the steps to follow:
- Firstly, switch ON the device, computer, laptop, or tablet.
- Connect it to the network.
- Open the web browser and type the link https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-in?app=drivers
- After that, the service tag, product ID, or model number.
- Hit the ‘Search’ button.
- A new page will open up for the download.
- Click on the Download button.
- Wait for the Download to complete.
- After that, open the downloaded file to run the installer.
- Click on the ‘Allow and Run’ button.
- Go with the flow of instructions.
- Tick the ‘Agree’ to the installer’s terms and conditions.
- Finally, hit the Finish button.
Related: How to Contact Dell Support
Check that there is no error message on the screen. So, it completes the driver installation for Dell Printer Setup. Now, you need to follow the connection process.
How to Setup a Dell Printer Using a USB Cable?
To connect the printer using the wired connection method, you need to first arrange a fresh USB cable that is not damaged. After that, follow the steps below:
- Firstly, turn OFF the printer.
- Take the USB cable and connect its one end to the Printer’s port.
- After that, connect the other end of the USB cable to the computer’s port.
- Make sure that the connections are secure and tight.
- Press the power button of the printer to turn it ON.
- Follow the instructions on the computer screen.
- Check for a successful connection and send the printing command from the computer to check the connection.
Setting Up a Dell Printer Wirelessly Using WiFi
If you are using an internet connection at home or the workplace, then you can also connect the Dell printer wirelessly without actually using the USB. It allows you to enjoy a strong connection between the machines and remote printing directly from your computer. So, here are the steps to follow:
- Firstly, press the ‘Menu’ button on the Dell printer.
- Then, press the ‘System’ option.
- After that, press the ‘Admin Menu option.
- Click on the ‘Network’ option.
- Then, choose ‘Wireless Setup’.
- Select the name of your network from the list.
- Enter the password.
- Finally, check for a successful connection.
- Send the printing command directly from your computer to test.
Setting Up a Dell Printer Using WPS (WIFI Protected Setup)
The wireless connection for the Dell Printer is easy and quick if you choose to connect it using the WPS method. Most Dell printers have a WPS button which is used for a direct connection to the network. You can use this method only if your router also supports WPS. Follow the steps below:
- Firstly, check the WPS button on the printer and router.
- Press the WPD button on the printer using a sharp pointed object and hold it for a few seconds.
- Check for the WPS message on the Printer’s screen.
- After that, press and hold the WPS button of the router for at least 2 minutes.
- Check for a successful connection.
- Finally, test the connection by sending the command and printing a document.
How to Print From a Dell Printer Using a Mobile Phone?
Dell printers work well with Android phones and iPhones. You can add a printer to your phone and use it directly for printing. The pairing of the two devices can be done using a WiFi connection or Bluetooth. Follow the steps below:
- Click on ‘Add Service’.
- Enter the information about your Dell Printer.
- Turn ON the Printing from the Phone.
- Open the Settings.
- Go to ‘Connected Devices.
- Then go to ‘Connection Preferences’.
- Select ‘Printing’.
- Click on the Print Service and turn it ON.
Dell Printer Setup Not Working: Troubleshooting and Fixing
There can be various reasons for the failures of the setup process. As a result, the printer will throw an error while performing any task. The inconvenience can be due to incompatible devices, improper network connection, wrong connection process, hardware issues, outdated drivers, and much more. Follow the steps below to fix it:
- Check Network Connection: Test the speed of the internet online. In case of low speed, restart the router and place the device close to it. Reconnect the printer and the device with the internet and then check for success.
- Update Printer Drivers: Outdated printer drivers can also cause issues with the Dell Printer Setup process. To update the drivers, follow the steps below:
- Open the link https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-in?app=drivers
- Enter the model number of the printer.
- Hit the ‘Search’ button.
- Now, click on the ‘Update’ button
- Wait for it to download.
- Install the update properly.
- Check Hardware Faults: The issue can also be due to any hardware fault in the device. So, check all the connections and the machine parts for any faults. After that, again perform the Dell Printer Setup.
- Wrong Connection Process: Also, if the user follows the incorrect procedure for the connection method, then it may face issues in the setup process. Make sure to follow up with the proper connection of the printer with the WIFI and the computer.
How to Install Dell Printer on my Computer?
For the Dell printer installation, follow the steps below:
- Download and install the printer drivers online at https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-in?app=drivers
- Open the Control Panel on the computer.
- Go to the ‘Devices and Printers section.
- Click on ‘Add a printer.
- Choose the name of the Dell printer.
- Hit the Add button.
- Close all the windows.
- Restart the computer and check for a successful connection.
How to Connect Dell Printer to WIFI?
To connect the printer to your WIFI connection, follow the steps below:
- First, press the Menu option on your printer.
- Then, click on ‘System’, then click on ‘Admin Menu’.
- After that, choose Network’, then click on ‘Wireless Setup’
- Select the network name and enter its password.
- Check for the successful connection of the printer to the WIFI.
How Do I Connect Dell Printer to Wireless Connection?
Dell Printer Setup using the wireless connection involves a series of steps as below:
- First, connect the Dell printer and computer using a USB cable.
- Open the search bar and click on the ‘Wireless Setup Utility.
- Go with on-screen prompts.
- Select the name of the network from the list.
- Click on the ‘Continue’ button.
- After that, type the password.
- Remove the USB cable from the printer and the computer.
- Finally, check the wireless connection between the devices.
What are the Compatible Mac Operating Systems for Dell Printers?
The following Mac OS is compatible with Dell printers – X v10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, 11, 12, 13.3.