HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printers are highly recommended for their top quality of printing. Mixed with excellent looks and affordability, this OfficeJet printer is a multi-feature wireless printer that can print, copy, scan and fax with remarkable skilfulness. Use this HP printer in your home and office for aid and assistance for your tasks of printing. While it works fine for all your needs, there are times when it might develop some issues and not perform to its full potential. One of these issues is the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Not Printing Black.
There could be several reasons for this malfunction. It could be clogged or jammed printhead or simply a lack of cartridges with any black ink. Even damaged cartridges or outdated printer drivers could be the reasons causing black printing to not happen as intended. These are some common reasons for the issue which can also be examined and taken care of from other points of view as well. For saving time contact hp officejet pro 6978 wireless setup.
How do I fix my HP 6978 printer not printing black ink?
- Turn off your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer, remove the plug from the power source and disconnect the USB cables too. Leaving this for a few moments, plug your printer back and reconnect it. Turn it on as before.
- Now, print a “Print Test Page” or “Quality Diagnostic Report”
- Get this option on your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer’s display screen. Or, you can see your printer’s user guide for doing it step by step.
- Now, check the HP OfficeJet Pro printer ink levels to see the ink volume in the cartridges. In case, you have installed aftermarket cartridges that don’t display ink levels, you need to explore another way to see whether or not your ink cartridges are faulty. These constitute the basic steps to resolve the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Not Printing Black issue.
How do I clean the printheads on my HP Officejet Pro 6978?
It is quite a possibility that the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printhead could be clogged and you might require to clean the printhead many times to get it print in black. You can use an automated tool from the control panel of the printer to clean the HP OfficeJet printhead.
- Open the Setup menu from the printer control panel.
- Now, open the Printer Maintenance menu.
- If needed, launch the Tools menu, and then touch Clean Printhead. This prints a test page.
- Inspect the test page.
If the print does not show any black ink, touch ‘Clean Again’ to go ahead with the next level of cleaning. If required, you can repeat these steps for a third time.
When you see the print showing black, touch Done and try to print.
In case these steps resolved the issue, you don’t have to continue troubleshooting for the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Not Printing Black issue.
Related: hp officejet pro 6968 not printing
How do I fix the printhead on my HP Officejet Pro 6978?
Aligning the printhead can resolve printing errors.
- Put some plain paper in the printer input tray.
- From the control panel of the printer, you need to open the Setup menu.
- Open the Tools menu or Printer Maintenance.
- Now, tap on Align Printhead. This prints an alignment page.
- Now, let the page out of the printer before removing it.
If it doesn’t resolve the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Not Printing Black issue, continue to the next step.
Make sure the ink cartridges are placed correctly
First, check the vents situated on top of the ink cartridges. If they are blocked or clogged, the ink cartridge might not print correctly.
- Turn on the printer and open the access door of the ink cartridge. The carriage slides to the centre of the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer.
- Now, wait for carriage to stop and then continue.
- Next, press the tab inward to release the cartridge and then remove it from the slot.
- Now, check the vent area on top of the ink cartridge.
- In case the vent looks clogged, you need to use a pin to remove any adhesive from the vent for resolving the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Not Printing Black issue.
- Now, put the printer ink cartridge into its slot and then press the ink cartridge down into its place properly.
- Repeat these steps check vents on every cartridge on the printer.
- Check to see that the ink cartridges are firmly installed in its slot and close the cartridge access door before you try to print.
See if these steps resolved the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Not Printing Black issue.
Replace any empty cartridges
You always need to replace any low or empty printer cartridges and then try to print again.
- Open the access door of the ink cartridge.
- Before you continue, wait until the carriage stops moving.
- Now, push the tab inside on the visible side of the ink cartridge to release it, and then pull ink cartridge up to remove it from the slot.
- Unpackage a new HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 ink cartridge from its package, and then pull the pull-tab straight back.
- Grip the printer cartridge by its sides, and then turn the protecting orange cap anticlockwise to pull it off the cartridge.
- Now, bend the tab away from the printer cartridge as a step towards resolving the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Not Printing Black issue.
- Now, turn the cartridge so that it has its face downward and it matches the colour dot with the label colour on the carriage.
- Next, push the ink cartridge into its place, and then press the ink cartridge down until it firmly gets into its place.
- Now, repeat the steps to install new cartridges on your HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer.
- Now, close the ink cartridge access door and try to print. See if replacing any low/empty cartridge has resolved the issue. If not, continue troubleshooting for your printer not printing black ink.
Check the print settings
Quite often, the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 printer settings can affect the quality of print or stop its black ink from printing. Choose your OS, and then check the print configurations to ensure that the print settings are appropriate for your print tasks.
Checking the print configurations for your print tasks in Windows.
- In the application you are aiming to print from, click on File, and then click on Print. This opens up the Print window.
- Open the dialog box of Properties, Options or Printer Setup
Modify the following settings of your printer to get rid of the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Not Printing Black trouble.
- Print Quality: In case you are not satisfied with the printout quality, you need to enhance the print quality. These quality options include Normal, Best and Draft modes.
- Black and White: When you want to print in black and white only, choose the grayscale option.
- Paper Type: If you are printing on document paper, choose the type of paper you are attempting to print on.
- Paper Size: If you plan to print on a different paper size than you normally print on, choose the proper paper size.
- After choosing the print configurations, click OK to apply the settings, and then click on Print.
Altering print configuration is one of the ways to resolve the HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 Not Printing Black issue. If you need more help then contact hp printer support phone number.