Fixing the Brother Printer Error Code 54 is a fairly simple task, provided you know what to look for. Following our troubleshooting guide should help you resolve this issue quickly and easily. The issue can be due to improper installation of the ink toner and cartridge problems. You can fix the issue by fixing the toner cartridge to its correct position and replacing it if there is any damage. However, if you are still having issues or can’t seem to figure out how to fix it properly then contact the Customer Support team for assistance.
What Causes Brother Printer Error Code 54?
There are a few common causes of the Brother Printer replacement toner error, and fortunately, they’re all pretty easy to fix.
- The toner cartridge is not properly seated in the printer.
- The toner cartridge is empty or nearly empty.
- The toner cartridge is damaged and needs to be replaced.
- Something is blocking the optical sensor inside the printer that detects the presence of a toner cartridge. This could be dust, paper debris, or even a finger placed over the sensor.
Troubleshoot and Fix Brother Printer Error Code 54 – Replace Toner Error
If your Brother printer is showing the “Replace Toner” error, there are a few things you can do to troubleshoot and fix the issue.
The toner cartridge is empty or low on toner
This is the most common cause of the replacement toner error, and it’s also the easiest to fix. Simply replace the empty or low toner cartridge with a new one and you should be good to go.
The toner cartridge is not properly seated in the printer
If your toner cartridge is not properly seated in the printer, it can cause the replacement toner error to occur. To fix this, simply remove the toner cartridge and make sure that it’s properly seated before putting it back in.
The path of the laser beam is Blocked
The laser beam that writes images onto paper can be blocked by dust, dirt, or other debris. This can cause the replacement toner error to occur. To fix this, simply clean off any debris that might be blocking the path of the laser beam.
Toner Cartridge is Damage
If the toner cartridge is not working properly even after the correct installation, then there can be damage to the cartridge. For this, you need to replace the cartridge to fix Brother Printer Error Code 54.
Reset the Counter on the Printer
Follow the steps below to reset the counter on your Brother printer and get it working again:
- Turn off your Brother printer and unplug it from power if you experience Brother Printer Error Code 54.
- Remove the toner cartridge from the printer and inspect it for any damage or debris that might be blocking the optical sensor.
- If you find anything, clean it off with a soft cloth or compressed air and then re-install the toner cartridge making sure it is properly seated in the carriage assembly.
- Plug your Brother printer back in and turn it on. Once it has booted up, open up the control panel and navigate to “Maintenance” > “Replace Toner.”
- This will reset the replace toner counter to zero and hopefully clear up your error message
Related: Brother Support
How do I get my Brother Printer to Stop Saying Replace Toner Error?
If your Brother printer is displaying the “replace toner” error, there are a few things you can do to try and fix Brother Printer Error Code 54.
- First, make sure that the toner cartridge is properly installed in the printer. If it is not, remove it and reinstall it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- If the toner cartridge is installed correctly and the error persists, try cleaning the electrical contacts on the cartridge and printer. Use a dry, lint-free cloth to wipe down the contacts on both the toner cartridge and where it meets up with the printer.
- Once you have cleaned the contacts, reinsert the toner cartridge and see if the error message goes away.
- If you are still seeing the Brother Printer Replace Toner Error after trying these troubleshooting steps, there may be an issue with the printer itself. Contact Brother Customer support for further assistance.
Why is my Brother printer saying there is no toner when there is?
If your Brother printer is displaying the “Replace Toner” error, it means that the printer believes that the toner cartridge installed is empty. There are a few possible reasons for Brother Printer Error Code 54:
- The toner cartridge is empty. Check the toner level indicator on the cartridge to see if it needs to be replaced.
- The toner cartridge is not properly seated in the printer. Remove and re-install the cartridge to make sure it is seated correctly.
- The contacts on the toner cartridge or in the printer are dirty or damaged. Clean or replace the contacts as needed to fix Brother Printer Replace Toner Error.
- The printer firmware needs to be updated. Check Brother’s website for updates and instructions on how to install them.
How do I reset my Brother Printer toner low?
To reset the error, you’ll need to replace the toner cartridge with a new one. If you don’t have a replacement toner cartridge handy, you can try temporarily bypassing the error message by opening up the front cover of the printer and holding down the “Clear” button for about 5 seconds. This should allow you to continue printing for a little while longer until you can get a replacement cartridge. After that, remove the old one and insert the new one into the printer. The printer should automatically reset itself and stop displaying Brother Printer Error Code 54.
How do I Bypass an Empty Toner?
If your Brother printer is displaying the “Replace Toner” error, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot and fix the issue.
- Reset the printer.
- Re-install the toner cartridge
- Clean the Cartridge thoroughly
How do I clear the message to replace the toner?
To replace the toner cartridge and fix Brother Printer Error Code 54, follow the steps below
- Open the front cover of the Brother printer.
- Remove the old toner cartridge by gently pulling it out of the printer.
- Insert the new toner cartridge into the printer, making sure that it clicks into place.
- Close the front cover of the printer.
- Check if the issue Brother Printer Replace Toner Error is stopped displaying or not.
More helpful guides:
Brother 2270DW Wireless Setup
Brother HL-2170w Wireless Setup
Brother hl-2280dw wireless setup
Brother HL-l2360dw Wireless Setup