HP Printer may experience several errors which may ultimately lead to malfunctioning and interrupting its services. One such error is HP Printer Error Code E5. This error occurs due to scanning issues within the machine. There can be a lot of causes relating to the error. Here, we will focus on all the factors responsible to generate the E5 error on the printer and how to fix them quickly and efficiently. At the very first step, you can try to fix the issue by restarting the printer. If that doesn’t fix the issue, follow the below troubleshooting guidelines for the best solution.
What Causes HP Printer Error Code E5?
The E5 error code on the HP printer is due to a scanning issue. Various factors are responsible for the issue. These are as follows:
Dirty Scanner Mirror
The scanner mirror may be dirty, which can interfere with the light transmission and cause an E5 error on the HP printer.
If the printer settings are incorrect and not updated, it can cause an error.
If some paper is stuck in the printer, it will block the scanning process and lead to an E5 error code.
Sometimes, faulty hardware in the printer such as a bad circuit board or loose connection can cause an E5 error.
Related: HP Printer Error Code E2
How to Troubleshoot and Fix HP Printer Error Code E5?
There are various ways by which you can try to fix the issue. It depends on the actual cause of the problem to which troubleshooting steps satisfy and fixes the error. So, follow these steps and check for success after each step.
Clean the Pickup Roller
To clean the pickup roller and resolve the E5 issue, follow the steps below:
- Firstly, turn off the printer and then open the front access door.
- Check for any foreign objects or paper jammed inside the printer.
- After that, locate the pickup roller and clean it with a soft cloth dipped in warm water.
- After cleaning, leave it to dry for some time and install it back into the printer again.
- Finally, close the access door and turn on your HP printer to check if the issue “HP Printer Error Code E5” is resolved or not.
Replace Pickup Roller
Here are the steps to follow for replacing the pickup roller.
- Firstly, power off your HP Printer and then remove all paper trays from it.
- Now, push the lock tabs of the roller towards each other to remove them.
- After that, take it out securely.
- Now, obtain a new replacement pickup roller for your HP Printer online or buy one from an offline store.
- Install it.
- Re-install all paper trays and turn on the printer to check if the issue “HP Printer Error Code E5” is resolved or not.
If both steps above fail, then you can try updating your firmware of the HP Printer.
- For that firstly, download the latest firmware version from the official HP website.
- After downloading it, install it by following up with the installer’s instructions.
- Lastly, restart your HP Printer to check if the E5 error code is gone or persists.
Configure Printer Scanner Settings
- If the issue is still not resolved, then you can try to configure the printer scanner settings.
- For that open the Printer Properties window and go to the Scanner tab.
- Now, click on the Advanced Settings option and make sure that all scan settings are configured properly.
- Finally, save the changes made by clicking OK and check if this resolves HP Printer Error Code E5.
Install Scanner Drivers
And if the above-mentioned steps fail to work then you can try installing the scanner drivers.
- First of all, uninstall the existing scanner driver from your HP Printer.
- After that, download and install the latest version of the HP Printer scanner driver from the official HP website.
- Now, open the printer properties window and check if all settings are configured properly.
- Finally, restart your printer to check if this fix resolves HP Printer Error Code E5 or not.
Related: HP Printer Status Unknown
How do I Clear E5 Error Code on my HP Printer?
HP Printer Error Code E5 corresponds to a scanning problem. This can be caused by several things, but the most common culprit is a dirty scanning mirror. To fix this, simply clean the scanning mirror and try again.
- If that doesn’t work, there are a few other things you can try:
- Make sure the scanner glass is clean
- Check for any loose connections between the scanner and the printer
- Try restarting both the printer and the computer
- Lastly, contact HP support for further assistance.
How do I Remove a Printer Error?
There are a series of steps that you can follow for removing the HP Printer Error Code E5.
- Check if your HP printer is connected to a working power outlet and that the power cord is properly plugged into the printer.
- Try scanning from a different computer to see if the issue lies with the computer or with the printer itself.
- Next, Make sure that your HP printer’s software is up-to-date by downloading and installing any available updates from HP’s website.
- After that, check the scanner settings and clean the scanning glass properly.
- Lastly, check for success.
Where is the Reset Button on an HP Printer?
To locate the reset button on the HP printer, navigate to the back side or the bottom of the device. The reset button is usually a small red circle located on the exterior of the printer. If the reset button is not accessible, a power reset can also be performed. To do this, turn off the printer’s power and wait for approximately one minute before turning it back on.
How do I Stop Error Code 5?
To fix this issue, you can try the following:
- Firstly, check that the scanner glass is clean and free of any debris. If it’s not clean, give it a good cleaning with a soft cloth and some glass cleaner.
- Next, make sure that the document you’re trying to scan is placed correctly on the scanner bed. If it’s not positioned correctly, it can cause scanning errors.
- If those two things don’t solve the problem, then you might need to take your printer to an authorized HP service center for further diagnosis and repair.”
How do I Clean my HP Printer Scanner?
To clean the scanner of your printer and fix HP Printer Error Code E5, follow these steps.
- Firstly, unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.
- Then, open the scanner lid.
- After that, use a soft, dry cloth to wipe any dust or debris from the glass. If there is any ink on the glass, you can use a mild glass cleaner to remove it.
- Once you have cleaned the scanner, plug the power cord back in and try scanning again.
What is a Common Cause for E05 Error Code?
Here are the few causes of HP Printer Error Code E5:
- The paper tray is empty or jammed.
- Poor connection of the power cord to the printer.
- A defective print cartridge or toner cartridge.
- Outdated or corrupted HP scanner driver software
- Dirty Scanner
More Helpful Guides