Are you tired of seeing the error code 48 on your Brother printer? This frustrating issue can prevent your device from communicating with your Windows PC, leading to delays and productivity loss. Here, we will discuss the causes of Brother Printer Error Code 48 and how to troubleshoot and fix the issue for the appropriate functioning of the printer. The most common cause of this error is that the Brother printer is not properly connected to the computer. Check all of the cables and connections to ensure that they are secure.
What is Brother Printer Error Code 48?
Error code 48 is a very common error that can occur when you are using your Brother printer. This error can be caused by several things, but it mainly implies that your printer is not properly connected to your computer. If you are receiving this error, it is recommended that you check the connection between your printer and computer to make sure that they are both working properly. In addition, you should also check to see if your Brother printer drivers are up to date.
Related: Fix Brother Printer Error Code 0A
Possible Reasons for Brother Printer Error Code 48
Several reasons may cause your Brother printer to display error code 48. The most common reason is due to a communication error between the computer and the printer. This can be caused by some things, including:
- The printer’s USB cable is not plugged in correctly.
- The USB port on the computer is not working properly.
- There is a problem with the drivers for the printer.
- There is a conflict between the printer and another device on the same USB bus.
- The printer is not configured correctly.
- Brother printer has a hardware or firmware issue.
- The computer is infected with a virus or malware.
How to Fix Brother Printer Error Code 48?
If you are receiving the Brother printer error 48, it is likely because the Windows OS is failing to acknowledge the device. This can be caused by many factors, including outdated or corrupted drivers, incorrect printer settings, or a conflict with another device on the same port. To resolve the issue, you will need to take the following steps:
Update your Printer Drivers
Outdated or corrupt drivers can often cause communication issues between your printer and computer. You can update your drivers automatically from the official website. Simply download and install the program, and restart the printer to fix the error.
Check Printer Settings
Make sure that your printer is configured correctly in the Windows OS. Incorrect settings can often cause communication issues as well. To check your settings,
- Firstly, open the Control Panel.
- Go to “Printers”.
- Right-click on your Brother printer.
- Select “Properties”.
- Verify that the correct port is selected under “Ports” and that all other settings are correct.
- Finally, check for the solution of Brother Printer Error Code 48.
Remove any Conflicting Devices from the Same Port
If there is another device connected to the same port as your Brother printer, it could be causing a conflict that is preventing communication between the two devices. To resolve this, simply disconnect any other devices from the same port and try printing again. You can change the port settings as follows:
- Firstly, open the Devices and Printers control panel.
- Right-click on your Brother printer and select Printer properties.
- Click on the Ports tab, then click on Configure Port.
- Make sure that the correct USB port is selected, then click OK.
- Try using your printer again and see if the error is resolved.
Check Printer Connections and Ports
Make sure that all of the cables are securely connected to both the printer and computer and that the ports on both devices are in good working order. If any of these components are faulty, it could be causing communication issues.
Scan the System Using Antivirus Software
Sometimes, viruses can cause communication issues between your printer and computer like Brother Printer Error Code 48. To make sure that this is not the case, you should scan your system using a good antivirus program. If any malicious software is detected, remove it immediately to fix the error.
Check and Update Printer Drivers
To fix Brother Printer Error Code 48, you will need to check and update your printer drivers.
- Firstly, open up the Devices and Printers control panel on your computer.
- Find your Brother printer in the list of devices.
- Right-click on it, and select Properties.
- In the Properties window, go to the Driver tab and click on Update Driver.
- If there is an update available, follow the prompts to install it.
Uninstall and Reinstall Printer Drivers
Here’s how to uninstall and reinstall the printer driver:
- First, open the Devices and Printers control panel. You can do this by going to Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
- Find your Brother printer in the list of devices and right-click on it. Select “Remove device” from the pop-up menu.
- Now that the device is removed, go to the Brother website and download the latest printer driver for your model printer. Run the installer once it’s finished downloading.
- Follow the prompts to install the new driver. Once it’s installed, restart your computer.
- Finally, open up Devices and Printers again and make sure your Brother printer is appearing in the list of devices.
- If it is, try printing a test page to see if Brother Printer Error Code 48 has been fixed.
Related: Brother Printer Error Code 0B
How do I Fix Error 48 on Brother Printer?
To resolve Brother Printer Error Code 48, there are a few manual solutions you can try:
- Go to Control Panel > Devices and Printers. Right-click on your Brother printer and select “Printer properties.” Click on the “Advanced” tab and scroll down to the “Print Processor” section. Select “Winprint” from the dropdown menu and click “OK.” Try printing again.
- If that doesn’t work, go back into Printer properties and this time select “RAW” from the Print Processor dropdown menu. Again, click “OK” and try printing.
- If neither of those solutions works, go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Print Spooler. Stop the spooler, then start it again and try printing.
What is Error Code 48 on Brother DCP?
If you are using a Brother printer and you are encountering an error code that reads “Windows Unable to Acknowledge the Device,” it means that your computer is not recognizing the printer.
This issue can often be resolved by restarting the device once and checking all the connections to be tight and secure. Now, check if the issue of Brother Printer Error Code 48 persists or not.
How do I Clear the Error on my Brother Printer?
There are a few things you can do to try and fix the problem.
- Firstly, make sure that the printer is properly connected to your computer. If it is, then try restarting both the printer and your computer.
- If that doesn’t work, you can try uninstalling and then reinstalling the Brother printer drivers on your computer.
- Finally, if none of those solutions work, you may need to contact Brother customer support for further assistance.
What does Error Code 48 Mean?
If your Brother printer is displaying error code 48, it means that the device is not being recognized by the computer. This can be caused by some things, including:
- Improper USB cable connection.
- Incompatible printer with the computer
- There is a problem with the Brother printer driver
Why won’t my Brother Printer Print even though it is Connected?
There are a few reasons your Brother printer may not be printing even though it is connected. Check the following:
- Make sure your Brother printer is turned on and connected to the computer properly.
- If it is not, turn it on and reconnect it.
- Check that the paper tray has enough paper in it and that the paper is not jammed.
- Ensure that the ink cartridges have enough ink in them.
- Open up the Printer Properties dialog box and click on the Ports tab.
- Finally, restart your computer and try printing again from your Brother printer.
More Helpful Guides