The Brother Error 05 – Missing Scan Data can be a real nuisance, but if you follow these troubleshooting steps, you should be able to get your printer up and running again in no time. Here, we will guide you through the troubleshooting process to fix the pesky ‘Brother Printer Error Code 05’. The error implies that your Brother printer is not receiving any data from your computer, or there is an issue with the scanner itself. You need to check for the actual cause of the error and then follow the desired solution for it. So, we help you get your printing and scanning back in action.
What Causes Brother Printer Error Code 05 – Missing Scan Data?
This can be caused by a variety of factors, including
- The USB cable between your computer and printer is not properly connected.
- There is a problem with the drivers installed on your computer.
- Your computer’s firewall is blocking communication with the printer.
- The scanner glass is dirty or has paper stuck on it.
- The scanner lamp or the scanner motor belt may need to be replaced.
- The scanner may be turned off.
Related: Brother Printer Error Code 30
Troubleshoot and Fix Brother Printer Error Code 05
The Brother error 05 indicates that the scanner is not receiving any data. This can be caused by several factors, including
Reinstall Scanner Driver
The scanner driver may be outdated or corrupt. Try reinstalling the scanner driver as follows
- Firstly, uninstall the current scanner driver from the computer.
- Secondly, download and install the latest version of the scanner driver compatible with your printer model.
- Lastly, restart your computer and check if the error is resolved.
Check USB Connection
If you are using a USB connection, make sure that it is connected properly and securely to both the printer and computer. If necessary, try switching to a different USB port on your computer. Now, check for the solution of Brother Printer Error Code 05.
Check Scanner Cable
Another common cause of this issue is a faulty or damaged scanner cable. Check that the cable is in good condition and securely connected to both the printer and computer. Try replacing it with a known working cable if necessary.
Clean Scanner Glass
If there is any dirt or dust on the scanner glass, it can prevent images from being scanned correctly. Clean off any dirt or smudges using a soft cloth dampened with water or window cleaner before attempting to scan again.
Update Scanning Software
If you are using third-party software to scan documents, make sure that it is up-to-date. Download and install the latest version of the scanning software compatible with your printer model. Check if the Brother Printer Error Code 05 is resolved or not.
Manage Firewall Settings
If you are using a firewall on your computer, make sure that it is not blocking the printer from communicating with the computer. Try allowing the printer through the firewall settings or temporarily disabling the firewall. Here are the steps to follow
- Open the Windows Firewall and click on ‘Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall’.
- Select the printer from the list of installed programs and apps and make sure to check all checkboxes related to it.
- Click ‘OK’ to apply the settings, then restart your computer and try scanning again. Check for the solution of Brother Printer Error Code 05.
Reset the Printer
Sometimes a simple reset can help resolve this issue.
- Unplug the power cord from your printer.
- After that, wait 30 seconds, then plug it back in.
- This will reset all settings and may help resolve the error code 05.
If none of these steps worked, contact Brother Printer Support for further assistance in resolving brother printer error code 05.
Related: Brother Printer Error Code 8F
How do I Get my Brother Printer out of Error Mode?
If you see the error code Missing Scan Data on your Brother printer, then it can usually be fixed with a few simple troubleshooting steps
- First, try restarting your printer. This can often clear up any minor errors and get things back to normal.
- After that, try unplugging the printer for a few minutes, then plugging it back in. This can sometimes reset the printer’s internal memory and clear the error.
- Another thing to try is updating the printer’s firmware. Firmware updates can often fix bugs and improve performance.
- Also, there may be an issue with your computer’s settings or drivers. Try reinstalling the Brother control center or driver software from the Brother website.
How to Reset Your Printer?
If your printer is displaying Brother Printer Error Code 05, then reset the printer to fix it actively.
- Firstly, press Menu and go to the Network option then press OK.
- Next, choose the WLAN option then press OK to confirm it.
- Then select the Setup Wizard option and press OK once more.
- Now follow all instructions mentioned in this wizard to complete the setup process of your Brother Printer successfully. Once done, check if your printer is functioning properly or not.
How to Clean and Maintain Your Printer?
It is important to keep your printer clean to prevent missing scan data and other printing problems. To clean the interior of your printer, follow these steps
- Turn off your printer and unplug it from the power outlet.
- Remove any paper from the input tray and output bin.
- Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe down the inside of the printer, including the control panel, print head, and platen glass.
- If there is stubborn dirt or grime build-up, you can use a diluted vinegar solution or distilled water before cleaning.
- Once you have finished cleaning, plug your printer back in and turn it on.
- Allow it to warm up for a few minutes before trying to print again and check for a successful solution of Brother Printer Error Code 05.
What is error 05 on Brother Printer?
Error 05 is a common error code for Brother printers. This error can occur for a variety of reasons but is most often caused by incorrect or outdated scanner drivers. Outdated drivers can cause communication problems between your printer and your computer, which can lead to errors like Brother Printer Error Code 05. However, it can also be mainly due to scanner issues like a dirty scanner, hardware malfunction, etc.
How do I Stop Error Code 5
To fix this error, you’ll need to make sure you have the latest drivers installed for your Brother printer. You can download the latest drivers from Brother’s website. Once you’ve downloaded and installed the new drivers, restart your computer and try printing again. If you’re still getting Error 05, there may be another issue causing the problem. Try resetting your printer by unplugging it from the power outlet for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in. If that doesn’t work, contact Brother customer support for further assistance.
More Helpful Guides